Ever wondered why Bread & Butter Pickles were called “bread & butter”? According to my online research (aka- google), they got their name because they were a staple during the Great Depression and were eaten on sandwiches with butter. Interesting! A pickle and butter sandwich doesn’t sound great but neither does a green bean sandwich which happens to be one of my favorites!
Last week I called my great aunt and uncle, Sara & Sam, for some pickle advice. Everything they can is wonderful so I knew they would have a good bread & butter recipe. Here it is 🙂
Also, I would recommend starting before 10PM like we did!
- Do not pare cucumber, slice thin. Add onions, peppers and whole garlic cloves.
- Add salt; cover with cracked ice. Mix thoroughly.
- Let stand 3 hours; drain well. (this helps to make them crisp and pull out the excess water)
- Combine remaining ingredients; pour over cucumber mixture.
- Heat just to boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars.
- Makes 8 pints.